Saturday 29 October 2011

My Laptop Case {Lots of Photos}


In year 9 Home Economics term 3 we were given a piece of denim fabric and told we could either make a pillow or wall hanging by decorating it with embroidery. I had no use for either nor did I want to make a pillow or wall hanging so I asked to make a laptop case. My home ec teacher said yes and so I started brainstorming ideas.

I came across this fabric in spotlight with little Japanese dolls on it and my ideas just grew from there. I ended up using the fabric as my lining with 2 layers of iron-on wadding between it and the denim.


This is a picture of the fabric already sewn in to my laptop case. Don't you just think its adorable?!?

It had 3 different types of dolls on it. 

I photocopied the fabric and made an embroidery pattern from it for the front of my case. 

I love this fabric soo sooo much!!

This is my embroidered doll, the second one shown above. I statin stitched the hair, the eyes and hair flower are beads, the lips are bullion stitch, the outline is backstitch and the dress is decorated in lazy daisy's.

This one was done the same but has a different dress pattern, different coloured flowers and a different hair style. This one is a replica of the first photo of dolls above. 

Again this one is done in the same way just with a different dress patter, hair style and flower colour. This one is a replica of the last photo of dolls above.


And here is the finished product all zipped up.

All three dolls, they turned out so cute!! 

My favourite is the pink one but I like them all.

 My laptop fits in perfectly.

All I did was measure my laptop and added about 4 to 5cm for a seam allowance and sewed 2 side seems.
I did a special corner, I'm not sure what it's called but it is perfectly moulded to my laptop. 

 My zip is far from perfect but this is only the second zip I've ever sewn into something and it was around a curve.
 A pinned the zip in place on one side and then tacked it and sewed around it and did the same for the other side. My grandma helped me with this step but all the sewing and embroidery was done completely by me.

We have a embroidery machine at school so I embroidered my full name on the back but apart from that I left it plain. 

I love it so much and I'm so proud of the finished product. I got an A+ for it and was asked if it could be displayed in the school library but I said no as I did not want people touching it.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Charlotte;)

No comments:

Post a Comment